Search Site

This search form uses an instant search feature. As you type, search results will appear automatically below the search field. When you've entered you desired search terms use tab to navigate through the available results and hit enter to open the selected page or document.
Viking Merchandise and our Logo.
Viking Merchandise and our Logo.
Brian Spencer
Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Trademark Licensing Program Overview

A trademark licensing program gives Central Heights USD control over its logos and marks, thereby ensuring the quality and consistency of all the school’s merchandise. It also enables Central Heights USD to generate revenue from the sale of merchandise bearing its logos and marks. The revenue is used to support and enhance many programs throughout the school. Outside of the school, the trademark licensing program creates a cooperative and positive working relationship with the manufacturers and retailers that work with Central Heights USD.

Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos, and symbols of the school MUST use a licensed vendor. If you are working with a vendor who would like to become licensed, please direct them to K12 Licensing to complete the application. 

What is a trademark?

A trademark is any word mark, slogan, symbol, design, logo or combination of these elements, which identifies and distinguishes the goods or services of one party from others.

  • A design that could create a likelihood of consumer confusion due to similarity to the school’s trademarks may be an infringement of the Central Heights USD’s trademark rights.

Where does the royalty revenue come from?

  • The manufacturer of the product pays a royalty that is a percentage of the wholesale price. This royalty revenue gives Central Heights USD additional revenue to support school programs.

How does one know that a product is licensed?

  • Like the other associations and leagues (NCAA, NFL, NBA, etc.), the product will carry a distinct label and/or hang tag. It will identify the product as “Official NFHS High School Product.”
  • Local retailers producing Central Heights merchandise are exempt from the program. Only regional and national retailers (Cosentino’s, Walmart, etc.) will bear the hangtag.
  • If you find a product without the hangtag, please contact Brian Spencer or Andrew Engel and let them know what kind of product it is and where you found it.

What if I find product without the hangtag in a regional or national retailer?

How do I get access to Central Heights USD marks and logos?

Permission must be obtained to use Central Heights USD marks and logos. Contact Brian Spencer at (785) 869-3455 X 1205 or for more information.

Want to get licensed?

If you are a vendor who is interested in obtaining a license, K12 Licensing will aid individuals, companies, departments, and organizations in securing the proper agreements and forms. Please reach out to the K12 representative listed below.

Who do I contact with questions?

Contact Andrew Engel with any questions or concerns you may have about trademark licensing.

K12 Licensing

Andrew Engel

(224) 829-4108

Central Heights USD

Brian Spencer

(785) 869-3455 X 1205